The following recipe is from the Whole Body Reboot: The Peruvian Super Foods Diet to Detoxify, Energize, and Supercharge Fat Loss by Manuel Villacorta
Gazpacho is a traditional Andalusian chilled tomato soup from Spain. We infused this gazpacho with Peruvian power foods, such as pichuberries, for an extra vitamin C punch.
Pichuberries have a low glycemic index of 25, which makes them a diabetes- and weight-loss-friendly fruit.
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups pichuberries
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lime (about 1½ to
- 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Put the onion, bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, celery, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, and 1 cup of the pichuberries in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vegetable stock, lime juice, vinegar,
- and oil.
- Put half of the vegetable mixture and half of the liquids in a blender and puree. Repeat with the remaining vegetables and liquids. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving to let the flavors marinate. Adjust the salt and pepper if necessary.
- Slice the remaining cup of pichuberries and add to the gazpacho just before serving.
Per Serving: Kcal 160.5, Protein 3g, Carb 22g, Fat 7g, Sodium 174.5mg, Dietary Fiber 4g
Daily Values: Fiber 16%, Vit C 87%, Vit A 99%, Vit D 5 26%, Calcium 7%, Iron 7%
A nationally recognized, award-winning registered dietitian with more than 16 years of experience as a nutritionist, Manuel Villacorta, M.S., R.D., is a respected and trusted voice in the health and wellness industry. He is the founder of Eating Free, an international weight management and wellness program, and one of the leading weight loss and nutrition experts in the country. He is the author of Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep the Weight off for Good (HCI, May 2012) and Peruvian Power Foods: 18 Super foods, 101 Recipes, and Anti-aging Secrets from the Amazon to the Andes (HCI, October 2013).
Villacorta’s latest book, Whole Body Reboot: The Peruvian Super Foods Diet to Detoxify, Energize, and Supercharge Fat Loss, is available on Amazon.