“In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.” – Michelangelo
If Michelangelo were chipping away at you, what would he get rid of? The intricate details of The David simply could not be introduced without first eliminating the large excesses which did not work. The same goes for fine tuning the masterpiece of your life.
I have been actively exploring the pathways to personal potential for over 20 years. The majority of books, teachers, and courses I learned from for much of my career focused primarily on what we need to DO to improve ourselves. What strategies, actions, characteristics, or skills do we need to adopt? How can we grow, stretch, go for it, reach, make it happen? What’s missing that we need to add to our lives?
First, Recognize What Needs to Go
The message appears to be that if I simply learn, grow and push hard enough, long enough, and smart enough, I’ll get there. Far less attention seems to be given to letting go of what’s not working. What do we need to unlearn, eliminate, or release?
These impediments, or “blocks” may include, but are not limited to:
- Beliefs: I’m not good enough, smart enough, talented enough, educated enough. I’m too old, too young to tall, too short. It’s impossible to succeed in business today.
- Negative emotions: fear (of rejection, looking bad, failing), anger, jealousy, resentment, cynicism, pride, ______________
- Habits: sleeping late, too much TV, time wasters, etc.
- Addictions: drugs, alcohol, unhealthy relationships, gambling, _____________________
Start With The BIG BLOCK
While there may be several obstructions to reaching your personal potential, some are bigger than others. Often there is one major obstacle, the “big block,” which is more of a hindrance than all the others combined. It often contributes to other blocks. You probably know what it is. Your big block prevents you from getting maximum benefit from your personal development efforts, no matter how hard, long, or innovative they may be. It’s like driving with the brake on. Eliminating your big block expands your current potential exponentially and brings new possibilities you may have never imagined.
Five Steps to Eliminating Your Blocks
- Make a list of the blocks in your life. If you can’t think of any, just ask your friends.
- Rate each as small, medium, or BIG.
- Pick one.
- Get very clear on the value of overcoming this block. What would become possible for you? How would it change the course of your life?
- Get to work chipping away at that block. Consider the resources you may need to assist you.
Identifying and dealing with what’s in the way of your personal potential is a critical success factor. When you get rid of the blocks, what’s left is the masterpiece that is you.