Anytime holidays and vacations interrupt your routine, there’s a risk that your fitness and nutrition will go off the rails. You can always start over again, but Fit Body Boot Camp CEO and Fitness Trainer Bedros Keuilian offers these tips to stay in control of your holiday fitness and eating instead:
- Schedule workouts in advance. Vary your workouts to keep them interesting, but stay on schedule. When it’s dark and cold outside and your warm couch is calling your name, you’re more likely to work out if it’s on the schedule.
- Stock healthy snacks. We all tend to snack and hibernate at home, so plan ahead with your favorite nutrient-dense snack foods to help combat cravings.
- Use afterburn (or EPOC) to maximize active rest. As if the burpee wasn’t bad enough, Fit Body Trainer Josh Carter came up with the “Afterburn Super Burpee” to launch your metabolism through the roof. See the “recipe” below.
- Take it easy on the adult beverages. At least lighten up your cocktails to minimize sugar and use more sparkling water. You’ll stay more hydrated and avoid those nasty hangovers.
- Plan your food. If you’re going to indulge while at a party, a family dinner, or on vacation, pick one indulgence and go for it. Keep the rest of your plate loaded with veggies and lean protein to stay on track and help you recover faster.
THE AFTERBURN SUPER BURPEE:
Standing upright with your feet shoulder width apart, place your hands on the floor in front of you. Step or jump your feet straight back putting you in push-up position. Lower your body to the floor so you are lying flat on the ground then push back up to the push up position. One at a time quickly drive your knees towards your chest in an alternating fashion 5 times each for a total of 10. Then step of jump your feet forward toward your hands. Rise into the standing position and jump straight up, clapping once above your head. That’s one rep. Rest 30 seconds, and repeat until you Just. Can’t. Anymore. You’re welcome!